It's been a wild year in cars, and from what we can see, your driving isn't getting any better.
With Ferraris catching fire and supercars being wrecked on at least a biweekly basis, the rare cars just kept getting rarer this year. Think you'd seen it all with one or two megawatt cars going up in smoke? Try 14 cars added to the heap, in one massive pile-up.
With 2011 drawing to a close, we're taking a painful look back at some of the most notorious crashes of the past year. Whether driven by idiots, or destroyed by idiots in other cars, these mashed-up bits of once-wonderful automotive art are now in pieces.
We've steered clear of most of the human wreckage, too, but in one case we've left it in, hoping it reminds you to keep it safe out there.
These are the 22 most notorious car crashes of 2011:
Ferrari 458 Italia gets run over by Ford F-150 pickup truck
22. One of the more talked-about crashes this spring was an incident involving a Ford F-150 and a Ferrari 458 Italia. Readers went back and forth on whether the Ferrari was a total loss--will no one think of the poor truck involved?
21. One of the more memorable crashes of the year claimed a 1,428-horsepower Chevrolet Corvette Z06, which was traveling at 230 mph at the Texas Mile when it took flight and crashed. Amazingly, the driver walked away from the crash. The Corvette....did not.
Wrecked Porsche 911 GT3 RS in Texas
20. One report that made us cringe in pain was the story of a man crashing his Porsche 911 GT3 RS, and then attempting to drive it home. As you would expect, attempting to drive the crashed 911 GT3 RS caused even more damage, including a completely deconstructed front axle. Please, don't drive a car after crashing into a curb. Especially not a GT3 RS. It makes the Germans cry.
Underground Racing’s twin-turbo Lamborghini Gallardo wreckage
19. Underground Racing's tuned Lamborghinis can easily develop over 1,000 horsepower. That's a lot of power for anyone to control, especially when the heel of the driver's shoe falls off and stays on the accelerator. Even when the brakes were applied, there was little the driver could do when going around a corner. While no one was hurt, the rear frame of the Gallardo snapped off at the point where the suspension's control arms bolt on--the exact same place where the driver's soul broke in half.
Eight Ferraris crash in expensive pile-up in Japan
18. In what has to be one of the most expensive car crashes this year, 14 luxury cars were involved in a pile-up in Japan. Eight of those vehicles were Ferraris. No one was physically hurt, but the psychic damage no doubt was greater than even that inflicted by Mr. Baseball.
17. It's bad enough when a clean C5 Chevrolet Corvette is crashed into a median on the highway. It makes matters worse when the world's worst tow truck driver shows up to remove the wreckage. This tow truck driver attempted multiple times to "claw" the Corvette, which makes us claw our eyes out in agony.
Wrecked Porsche 911 GT3 RS 4.0 near the Nurburgring
16. It's sad when any Porsche crashes. Well, maybe not a 924. But it's definitely worse when two Porsches crash, and when one is a rare 911 GT3 RS 4.0. Here, the drunk driver of a Chevrolet Corvette crossed the line and headed into one Porsche before colliding into the side of the second 911, inadvertently becoming a poster boy for mandatory sentencing laws at the same time.
Aston Martin Rapide crash captured on video
15. Crashing an Aston Martin Rapide is one thing. Crashing the sleek four-door sedan and laughing it off is a whole different thing. Such was the case earlier this year when Roberto Ricci was cruising down the highway in a Rapide and accidentally turned the traction control off instead of putting the car into sport mode. He quickly lost control of the car and crashed into the side barrier of the highway. Luckily, both the Ricci and his passenger walked away from the incident.
McLaren MP4-12C crashes at Spa Francorchamps
14. While few details were reported, we know a McLaren MP4-12C crashed during a track meet at the Spa Francorchamps race track. According to reports, the driver lost control in rainy conditions while traveling at speeds of up to 124 mph, or as McLaren owners call it, "just off idle."
Eight cars, including the BMW M3 Ring Taxi, crash on the Nurburgring
13. Cars crash all the time on the Nurburgring. Car crashes involving eight cars including a BMW M3 Ring Taxi don't happen that often, though. This accident was caused by a British driver who came into a section too fast.
Mansory Porsche Panamera crash in Poland
12. While car crashes are rarely a good thing, the world just might be a better place after this Mansory Porsche Panamera was destroyed.
11. During the 2011 Dutch Supercar Challenge Alex van't Hoff ended up airborne when he crashed his GT4 class Chevrolet Camaro. The crash took place at Circuit Park Zandvoort in the Netherlands. Thankfully, van't Hoff walked away from the crash.
Ferrari F430 Spyder crashes in Belgium
10. While we aren't 100 percent sure how this Ferrari F430 Spyder came to be resting upside down, we are fairly confident speeding was involved, either that or some Harry Potter action.
599 GTO wrecked on track
8. It looks like the reality TV show "The Netherlands' Worst Driver" found a great candidate for the win.
7. In a classic case of why not to pass on the right, this GT-R dips onto the shoulder and clips a parked car. For reasons unknown to us, the driver of the GT-R then fails to get back into his lane and smashes into a row of parked cars. Domo arigato, mister loboto.
Porsche 911 crash-lands in parking space
6. A while back, we actually had video of this Porsche 911 somersaulting into this parking spot. Unfortunately, the YouTube user has since pulled the video. The car was traveling at high rate of speed and literally vaulted over the wall. We still give it an 8 out of 10 for style and technical merit.
First BMW 1-Series M Coupe wrecked. Image via 1Addicts.com
5. The first 2011 BMW 1-Series M Coupe was wrecked in Korea. Wet roads and too much speed contributed to this accident.
4. While passing an attractive woman, the driver of this scooter rider ended up crashing into the back of a parked van. Making matters worse, the driver fell off the scooter, into the path of another scooter, which ran him over. Manhood removal mission? Complete.
Wreckage of Ferrari F40 that crashed in Houston, Texas
3. There's one less Ferrari F40 on the roads after a mechanic crashed this one in Houston, Texas. The $500,000 car was deemed a total loss due to frame damage sustained during the crash. It was reported the mechanic was traveling at speeds above 60 mph while in a 35 mph zone.
2. In one of the strangest car crash stories of 2011, George Lindell tells the tale of how his SUV was rear-ended and slid into an electrical pole, which then fell onto his car. The entire experience has probably landed him free drinks for life, thanks to his perfect one-line executive summary: "Reality hits you hard, bro."
1. Finally, we're remembering one of the most tragic accidents this year, a warning to anyone driving way over their head on public roads. Jackass star Ryan Dunn died when his Porsche 911 flew over a guard rail and struck a tree. The car burst into flames upon impact, killing Dunn and a companion. The lesson's a painful one, and one that's all too familiar.