Infiniti's new president Christian Meunier said Monday that the Infiniti QX30 luxury crossover won't return for a second generation in its current form.
"(The QX30 is) not a very successful product. We’ll keep selling it for now...but this is not a product that has a future beyond its current life," he said at the 2019 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.
"It will be replaced in the future by an all-Infiniti platform," Meunier added.
The current QX30 is a result of a partnership between Infiniti-parent Nissan and Mercedes-Benz with a equally uncertain future. The two automakers' partnership began in 2010, but it took until 2017 for a car to materialize from Infiniti. The Infiniti QX30 and Mercedes-Benz GLA-Class share related components, but last year Infiniti opted not to use an updated platform offered by Mercedes-parent Daimler.
Up until late last year, the two said the partnership was still alive—although it's unclear if any further shared cars will materialize.
Nissan invested more than $300 million in a U.K. plant to build the cars, which included Mercedes tooling. Mercedes and Nissan co-own a plant in Mexico, which is expected to produce the Mercedes-Benz GLB-Class, but Infiniti won't share a line for that model.
Meunier hinted that the upcoming replacement for the QX30 could use variable-compression engine technology, which made its debut on the QX50 last year. A smaller-displacement engine—the QX50 uses a 2.0-liter variable-compression turbo—is in the pipeline, he said. It could be paired with batteries, which Infiniti calls e-Power, in the automaker's new hybrid vehicles.
Last year, Infiniti pulled from sale its remaining hybrid, the Q70 Hybrid, after shelving a slow-selling QX60 Hybrid and Q50 Hybrid. The automaker currently doesn't offer any electrified models, but has said that by 2023 every Infiniti on sale would offer an electrified powertrain.
For more from the 2019 Detroit auto show, head to our dedicated hub.