The Secret Service is gearing up for an all-new presidential limo, to replace the venerable but sometimes challenged Beast. There are a number of requirements placed on those wishing to build the next limo, not least of which is that it must be an American company. Tesla Motors is an American company--but could it, should it, supply the next limo for the President?
While there's no indication that Elon Musk has any such desire, we think it's an interesting idea--one that would fit with government incentives for electric cars, give a nice green image to whomever might hold the office next time around, and conveniently side-step the issue of the automotive bailouts.
So what might a Tesla presidential limo (the Model P, perhaps?) look like? It might look something like this, based loosely on the Model X, just as the Beast is based on a GM heavy truck platform, but styled to look like a car.
Features you might find in a Tesla designed to protect the (nominally, at least) most powerful person in the world?
- Better armor plating under the battery pack, for one, to prevent any chance of a road-debris- (or IED-) induced battery pack fire.
- The Model X's upcoming all-wheel-drive system might also find use, enabling better traction and handling for the large, heavy vehicle.
- An air suspension system adapted from Tesla's production design could prevent any future high-centering issues like those faced by the Beast's predecessor.
- Tesla's always-on 4G internet connection could also be used, but would have to be upgraded to presidential status, including heavy encryption and firewalling.
- A charge-on-the-fly port at the nose and tail to hook up to a battery-extending black SUV, a la in-flight refueling, could help make sure the president can escape from emergencies without having to exit the car--or find a Supercharger.
Okay, so this is mostly in jest, but the core idea itself may have merit--if not now, then in a decade's time.
What features would you like to see on a Tesla presidential limo? What advantages do you think an all-electric armored apocalypse machine might have over a combustion-powered alternative? Let us know in the comments below.
President Obama's limousine