Aching for a crack at the new SLS AMG? Want to see what kind of lap times you can turn in an E63 AMG before laying down the $85,750 it takes to get one in your garage? The Mercedes-AMG Driving Academy may be just what you're looking for.
The Mercedes-AMG Driving Academy just came to the U.S. last year, though Europeans have had access to similar programs for years now. This year, U.S. participants get the added bonus of the Pro Level instruction in addition to the Basic and Advanced courses offered last year. The three-day, $3,995 Pro Level experience offers even more instruction and track time, including open lapping, and is offered only at Road Atlanta.
The Basic course, priced at $1,795 per driver, is a one-day course that gives participants a solid grounding in the fundamentals of performance driving and car control. It is offered at both Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca Raceway. Once you've completed the Basic course, you're eligible for the Advanced course, which ups the ante with more instruction and on-track driving. Onboad data acquisition is used to offer a detailed look at what you're doing behind the wheel. The Advanced course is also open to those that have completed the AMG Challenge or European Driving Academy programs. It, too, is offered at both Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca. Cars available to drive in the programs include the SLS AMG, E63 AMG, SL63 AMG, C63 AMG, and SLK55 AMG.
All programs include a dinner reception and introductory briefing, trackside hospitality, a certificate of completion, and an AMG gift bag in the tuition price.
For more information, including dates of each class, or to sign up, check out the AMG Academy website, or hit page 2 to see the tracks and programs offered in detail.
Road Atlanta (Braselton, GA) - May 15-16, June 11-14 & 28-30, 2010
For more than 40 years, Road Atlanta has lured top tier sports car and motorcycle racers from around the world. This 2.54-mile, 12-turn road course is one of the most technically challenging in the U.S.
Laguna Seca Raceway (Monterey, CA) -
August 27-29, September 25-27, October 29-30 and November 12-14, 2010
Located in one of North America's best destination locations -- the Monterey Peninsula -- Laguna Seca features tremendous elevation changes, the famous Corkscrew complex and 2.24 sinewy miles of twisty asphalt.
The AMG Driving Academy Basic, Advanced and new Pro Level for 2010:
- Basic ($1,795 per participant): Intense one-day track program focuses on performance driving dynamics. Participants learn the fundamentals of vehicle dynamics and car control maneuvers using customized exercises. Once participants perfect car control and handling, they progress to a set of high-speed exercises that make use of the entire track.
- Road Atlanta: May 15-16 & June 11 - 12
- Laguna Seca Raceway: August 27-29, Sept. 25, Oct. 29-30 and Nov. 12
- Advanced ($3,295 per participant): Two-day program picks up where Basic leaves off, providing advanced training and technical on-track instruction. Onboard diagnostics and data capture enable detailed computer analysis and evaluation. The Advanced program is offered to drivers who complete either the Basic Level, AMG Challenge, European Driving Academy program or an equivalent course.
- Road Atlanta: June 13-14, 2010
- Laguna Seca Raceway: September 26-27 & November 13-14
- Road Atlanta: June 28-30, 2010