Whether you think it's a ridiculous retro-themed waste of sheetmetal, a classy homage to a classic car, or you sit somewhere in between, you have to admit the 2010 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG has garnered a lot of attention. Today it gets a little bit more, partly for coming in with lower-than-expected pricing.
How much will it cost? Well, so far we only know what it'll cost in Europe, where it goes on sale Monday, but the translation to dollars shouldn't be too hard. The net price is €149,000, before the 19 percent VAT surcharge that brings its retail price to €177,310 across the pond.
Americans can expect a price more in line with the net figure, most likely, meaning somewhere in the neighborhood of $225,000. That's a fair discount from the expected $300,000-plus price tag. It's also a long way below the similarly-powerful Lexus LF-A's recommended price of $375,000.
A list of available options and packages were also released, including a ceramic composite brake system for about $14,000; a $1,400 split five-spoke 19/20-inch alloy wheel upgrade package; a $3,000 forged 10-spoke wheel package, numerous interior and seating upgrades, a range of custom paint choices and up to $9,000 in entertainment and audio options. Catch the highlight list below, though note that prices are in Euros.
Expect to see an announcement on U.S. pricing and on-sale dates soon.
Partial 2010 SLS AMG options list:
- AMG ceramic composite high-performance braking system: €9500 net/ €11,305 gross
- AMG performance suspension with a stiffer setup for optimum lateral dynamics: €1200 net/€1428 gross
- AMG light-alloy wheels in a 5-twin-spoke design, size 9.5 x 19 inches (front) and 11.0 x 20 inches (rear), tyre sizes 265/35 R 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 (rear): €950 net/€1130.50 gross
- AMG forged wheels in a 10-spoke design, size 9.5 x 19 inches (front) and 11.0 x 20 inches (rear), with tyre size 265/35 R 19 (front) and 295/30 R 20 (rear): €2000 net/€2380 gross
- AMG performance steering wheel in leather/Alcantara: €400 net/€476 gross
- AMG sports bucket seats: €3300 net/€3927 gross
- AMG carbon-fibre engine compartment cover: €4000 net/€4760 gross
- "AMG alubeam silver" paint finish: €10,000 net/€11,900 gross
- "AMG monza grey magno" paint finish: €3250 net/€3867.50 gross
- AMG carbon-fibre trim (front stowage tray and rear stowage compartment including lid, AMG DRIVE UNIT surround, surrounds for the centre console, shiftgate and rear, trim strips for centre console and door armrests): €3500 net/€4165 gross
- AMG interior carbon package (carbon-fibre trim, trim on seat backrests and sides, door sill panels): €3500 net/€4165 gross
- leather nappa exclusive single-/two-tone: €2500 net/€2975 gross
- Memory package with electric seat and steering column adjustment, as well as four-way lumbar support: €1225 net/€1457.75 gross
- 6-disc DVD changer: €660 net/€785.40 gross
- Bang & Olufsen BeoSound AMG surround sound system: €5900 net/ €7021 gross