Mercedes AMG’s Lewis Hamilton clinched victory during Sunday’s 2016 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix, by overtaking his teammate Nico Rosberg on the final lap.
We came close to a repeat of the stuff up caused by the two drivers during May’s 2016 Formula One Spanish Grand Prix, where they came into contact and were both forced to retire.
They came together again in Austria but this time Hamilton came out the better and went on to win while Rosberg was passed by Red Bull Racing’s Max Verstappen and Ferrari’s [NYSE:RACE] Kimi Räikkönen. Verstappen finished the race second while Räikkönen secured the final spot on the podium.
Rosberg eventually crossed the line fourth. Stewards deemed him at fault for the tussle with Hamilton and handed the German a 10.0-second penalty, though this was not enough to change his result.
In fifth was Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo while in a surprise sixth position was McLaren’s Jenson Button.
2016 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix
Romain Grosjean was seventh for Haas which was impressive considering the Frenchman suffered a 5.0-second penalty for pit-lane speeding.
Not far behind was Toro Rosso’s Carlos Sainz who claimed eighth position and in ninth was Williams’ Valtteri Bottas. Bottas struggled from tire graining and just managed to hold off Manor’s Pascal Wehrlein who claimed 10th along with the first points in his F1 career.
Six drivers failed to finish the race, the most notable being Ferrari’s Sebastian Vettel. His race lasted just 26 laps, when his right rear tire failed.
Rosberg still leads the 2016 Drivers’ Championship with 153 points. Hamilton is in second with 142 points and Vettel a distant third with 96 points. In the Constructors’ Championship, Mercedes sits on 295 points while Ferrari has 192 points and Red Bull 168 points. The next race on the calendar is the 2016 Formula One British Grand Prix on this weekend.
Hit the next page for the full results of the 2016 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix.
Mercedes AMG's Lewis Hamilton at the 2016 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix
Below are the full results for the 2016 Formula One Austrian Grand Prix:
1) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG
2) Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing +5.719 seconds
3) Kimi Räikkönen, Ferrari +6.024 seconds
4) Nico Rosberg, Mercedes AMG +26.710 seconds
5) Daniel Ricciardo, Red Bull Racing +30.981 seconds
6) Jenson Button, McLaren +37.706 seconds
7) Romain Grosjean, Haas +44.668 seconds
8) Carlos Sainz, Toro Rosso +47.400 seconds
9) Valtteri Bottas, Williams +1 lap
10) Pascal Wehrlein, Manor +1 lap
11) Esteban Gutierrez, Haas +1 lap
12) Jolyon Palmer, Renault +1 lap
13) Felipe Nasr, Sauber +1 lap
14) Kevin Magnussen, Renault +1 lap
15) Marcus Ericsson, Sauber +1 lap
16) Rio Haryanto, Manor +1 lap
Ret) Sergio Perez, Force India
Ret) Fernando Alonso, McLaren
Ret) Nico Hulkenberg, Force India
Ret) Felipe Massa, Williams
Ret) Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari
Ret) Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso