We do know that the LFA features a 4.8-liter 72-degree V-10 engine producing 552 horsepower and 354 pound-feet of torque, with drive going to the rear wheels via a six-speed sequential gearbox and a Torsen limited slip differential.
2012 Lexus LFA
The manual is quick to point out that the LFA’s launch control system shouldn’t be used on public roads and that there is a limited number of times that it can be used. The system can’t be used two or more times in succession, either. Drivers need to cruise for around 10 minutes before the drivetrain can cool down enough to be used again with the system engaged.
Lexus claims that the LFA will accelerate from 0-60 mph in 3.7 seconds though the automaker doesn’t specify whether this is with or without the launch control engaged. We’ll just have to wait until our own first drive of the new Lexus supercar to find out. Until then, hit the following page to see an excerpt from the LFA’s manual detailing the launch control procedure.
[Lexus via The Lexus Enthusiast]
Excerpt from 2012 Lexus LFA owner's manual:
When set, launch control enables the vehicle to accelerate from a standing start at 4000 rpm. Launch control uses overall optimized control that considers vehicle acceleration performance, stability and clutch durability. (Do not use launch control on public roads.)
Setting the system
1. Ensure that you are seated well back in the driver’s seat with the seat belt fastened. Make sure that the passenger is also seated well back with their seat belt fastened.
2. Start the engine. Firmly depress the brake pedal with your left foot and release the parking brake. Continue to depress the brake pedal.
3. Select SPORT driving mode.
4. Select shift speed level 7.
5. Pull the “+” paddle shift switch to select 1st gear.
6. Pull the “-” paddle shift switch and hold it for 5 seconds. “LAUNCH” will be displayed on the meter.
7. Release the “-” paddle shift switch.
8. Depress the accelerator pedal firmly. Continue to depress the accelerator pedal. The engine speed will be automatically maintained at 4000 rpm. The vehicle is then ready for launch.
9. Release the brake pedal. The vehicle will launch forward.
Once the accelerator pedal is released completely, launch control will be canceled and SPORT driving mode will be engaged.Start-off acceleration
Start-off acceleration depends on how much the accelerator pedal is depressed.
- Launch control can not be set if the total mileage shown on the odometer is less than 310 miles (500 km).
- Launch control can not be set until the engine and transmission are fully warmed up. Before using launch control, warm up the vehicle by driving it.
- Launch control can not be set if there is a malfunction in the engine, transmission, drive control system or other relevant systems.
- As launch control places a significant load on the vehicle’s mechanisms,it cannot be used two or more times in succession. After using launch control, cruise at a normal speed for approximately 10 minutes to allow vehicle mechanisms to cool down.
- To protect the systems,the number of times that launch control can be used is limited. To check how many times launch control has been used on your vehicle, contact your Lexus dealer.