The car everyone has been waiting for since seeing Casino Royale is finally here. Aston Martin has taken the wraps off the stunning DBS coupe, revealing a car that exudes performance and power yet still has the same proportions that made the DB9 one of the most beautiful cars in the world. The DBS will be officially unveiled at the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance this week and will go on sale in Q1 2008.
Under the hood you’ll find the same venerable 6.0L V12 engine found in the DB9 but with a number of modifications. These include a ‘by-pass’ engine air intake port that opens above 5500rpm to allow more air into the engine, and re-profiled air inlet ports that further improve airflow into the combustion chamber. Mated to the engine is a six-speed manual gearbox – no “softcore” auto for the DBS, thank you. The result is a power output of 380kW (510hp) and peak torque of 420 lb.ft (570Nm). In addition, Aston Martin’s extensive use of carbon fibre has reduced the weight of the DBS to 1695kg, around 65kg less than the equivalent manual DB9.
How does it perform? Glad you asked. The DBS will hit 100km/h in just 4.3 seconds and keep pulling all the way to a 191mph (302km/h) top speed, making it a true supercar.
Everyone knows that power without control is nothing, which is why Aston Martin has pulled all the stops to make the DBS excel around the track. It’s the first Aston to be fitted with carbon ceramic brakes, greatly reducing stopping distances and providing excellent resistance to fade. Also new is an Adaptive Damping System with five different settings to adjust the car’s ride and handling characteristics. Providing contact with the road are 295 size 20” Pirelli tyres in the rear.
Click ahead for a full gallery of this stunning car.
Aston Martin Introduces the Ultimate Luxury Sports Car – the DBS
Aston Martin will unveil the most eagerly anticipated car of the year when the new DBS is revealed at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance on August 16th, where the company takes a starring role as the featured marque.
Aston Martin Chief Executive Officer, Dr Ulrich Bez, said: “The DBS is the ultimate expression of Aston Martin’s engineering and technical ability. It offers pure performance without compromise.
“The DBS delivers the complete driving experience and bridges the gap between our road and track cars – the DB9 and DBR9.”
Equally at home on a twisting mountain circuit as on the open road, the DBS is a true thoroughbred. The Aston Martin DBS is a 6.0-litre V12 powered, race-bred, two-seater shaped by the aerodynamic demands of high performance, with an exquisite interior that marries beautifully hand-finished materials with the very latest in performance technology.
A combination of elegant design, innovative manufacturing processes, race-derived materials and components and Aston Martin’s unrivalled hand-build expertise makes the DBS a luxury sports car without equal. Every line, crease and curve conveys the enormous potential of the DBS, a seductive blend of refinement and raw power, provided by the hand-built V12 producing 380kW (510bhp/517PS), a top speed of 191mph (302km/h) and a 0-62mph (0-100km/h) time of 4.3 seconds.
The DBS will be built at Aston Martin’s global headquarters at Gaydon, near Warwickshire in the UK, joining the current Aston Martin line-up. This now comprises the elegant DB9, the agile V8 Vantage Coupe and the critically acclaimed Vantage Roadster – launched earlier this year.
Deliveries of the DBS are expected to commence during quarter one 2008, with prices to be confirmed at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September.
Aston Martin DBS Specification
• Two-door coupe body style with 2+0 seating
• Bonded aluminium VH structure
• Aluminium, magnesium alloy and carbon-fibre composite body
• Extruded aluminium door side-impact beams
• High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps (main beam)
• LED rear lamps and side repeaters
• All-alloy, quad overhead camshaft, 48-valve, 5935cc V12
• Compression ratio 10.9:1
• Front-mid mounted engine, rear-wheel drive
• Fully catalysed stainless steel exhaust system with active bypass valves
• Max power: 380kW (510bhp/517 PS) at 6500rpm
• Max torque: 570Nm (420 lb.ft) at 5750rpm
• Acceleration: 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in 4.3 seconds
• Max speed: 302km/h (191mph)
• Rear-mid mounted, six-speed manual gearbox
• Alloy torque tube with carbon fibre propeller shaft
• Limited-slip differential
• Final-drive ratio 3.71:1
Wheels and Tyres
• Front: 8.5’’ x 20’’ Pirelli P Zero 245/35
• Rear: 11’’ x 20’’ Pirelli P Zero 295/30
• Rack and pinion, Servotronic speed-sensitive power-assisted steering, 3.0 turns lock-to-lock. Column tilt and reach adjustment
• Front: Independent double wishbone incorporating anti-dive geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bare and monotube adaptive dampers
• Rear: Independent double wishbones with anti-squat and anti-lift geometry, coil springs, anti-roll bar and monotube adaptive dampers
• Adaptive Damping System (ADS) with Track mode
• Front: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 398mm diameter with six-piston callipers
• Rear: Ventilated carbon ceramic discs, 360mm diameter with four-piston callipers
• Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) with Track mode
• Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
• Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)
• Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
• Traction control
Length: 4721mm (185.9’’)
Width: 1905mm (75’’) (exc. Mirrors)
2060mm (81.1’’) (inc. Mirrors)
Height: 1280mm (50.4’’)
Wheelbase: 2740mm (107.9’’)
Fuel tank capacity: 78 litres (17.2 Imp.galls, 20.5 US galls)
Weight: 1695kg (3737lb)
Semi-aniline leather and Alcantara interior. Matrix alloy facia trim and Iridium Silver centre console finish. Carbon fibre door trims and door pulls. Auto-dimming rear-view mirror & garage door opener (USA & Canada only). Sports seats with ten-way electric adjustment, including height, tilt and lumbar. Memory seats & exterior mirrors (three positions). Dual-stage driver/passenger front airbags. Side airbags (Sports seats only). Heated seats (Sports seats only). Heated rear screen. Automatic temperature control. Organic Electroluminescent (OEL) displays. Trip computer. Cruise control. Hard Disk Drive (HDD) satellite navigation system1,2. Bluetooth telephone preparation1. Powerfold exterior mirrors. Front and rear parking sensors. Tyre-pressure monitoring1. Alarm and immobiliser. Remote-control central door locking and boot release. Battery disconnect switch. Battery conditioner. Tracking device (UK only). Boot-mounted umbrella.
• Aston Martin 700W Premium Audio System with Dolby® Pro Logic II®
• MP3 player connectivity
• Lightweight seats with six-way adjustment, including front and rear height adjust (Does not include side airbags or heated seats feature. Not available in USA or Canada)
• 20’’ alloy wheels with graphite finish
• Satellite radio system (USA only)
• Piano Black facia trim and centre console finish
• Leather storage saddle
• Personalised sill plaques
• Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror1
• Auto-dimming interior rear-view mirror with garage door opener (Europe only)
• Alarm upgrade (volumetric and tilt sensor)
• Tracking device3
• First-aid kit
• Ashtray and cigar lighter