2012 Chevrolet COPO Camaro goes to limited production
At last year's SEMA show, Chevrolet showed off a concept version of the 2012 Camaro in COPO drag racing trim. Now, the company has announced it will produce it--but in very limited numbers.
Aimed at racers in NHRA's Stock Eliminator and Super Stock classes, the 2012 COPO Camaro will see just 69 units built. It will take on the likes of the Drag Pak Dodge Challenger and Ford Mustang Cobra Jet as a factory-built ready-to-race special.
The 69 cars to be built matches the number of 1969 ZL-1 COPO Camaros originally built.
Those interested in taking one of these Central Office Production Order Camaros home, and ultimately to the track, should probably get in contact with their nearest dealer ASAP--though if you miss the boat, the COPO models are built off the same body-in-white shell available to all racers as part no. 19243374--but there'll be a lot of work between getting the shell and racing it.
Deliveries of the COPO Camaro will start in early summer.
Key specs of the drag racers are below:
- A sequenced build number matched to the engine but sold without a Vehicle Identification Number and cannot be registered for highway use
- Three racing-class engine are available, including a naturally aspirated 427 (7.0L) and two supercharged 327 (5.3L) V-8 engines
- Engine assembly at GM’s Performance Build Center, where the buyer can opt to participate in the engine assembly similar to Chevrolet’s Corvette Engine Build Experience and the Chevrolet Performance Build Your Own Crate Engine programs
- Engines pairing with a Powerglide automatic transmission designed for drag racing
- Five colors: Flat Black, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic and Ashen Gray Metallic
- A COPO graphics package similar to the one introduced on the concept vehicle available in Metallic White, Semi-Gloss Black, Inferno Orange Metallic and Chevy Racing Blue
- Pricing starting at $89,000
- A special collector’s package offering the purchase of all three engines with the COPO Camaro – including one installed in the car at delivery – with each engine serial number matched to the car