Kia's 2010 NAIAS press opportunity was TV verisimilitude--a brash send up of an infomercial. It had all the Veg-o-Matic sliced-and-diced pieces: loud huckster, incredulous sidekick, ceaseless superlatives, product demonstration and campy graphics.
But wait there was more. The lovely Angelique Marie cued the press (AKA the studio audience) to OOH and AHH.
This daring pitch toyed with the brand's $99 down-and-drive image. It led HGM to wonder: How would other carmaker press-day events play on TV?
1. Hollywood Squares: Scion xB in boxes above Cobo's floor. Pick the blue one to block.
2. The Newlywed Game: The Maserati near a Dodge Caravan; the dreadful Chrysler Delta concept indicate a rocky Fiat/Chrysler honeymoon. Bonus round: Booth framing looked classy.
3. Jeopardy: Will GM's executives return tomorrow, how much will they wager? More questions than answers.
4. What's My Line? Honda's CR-Z has CR-X sports-coupe styling, but expect first-generation Insight performance. Element ramps up its canine appeal--it has Fido friendly options.
5. Dating Game: Build Your Dream is bachelor number one.
6. Let's Make a Deal: Hyundai's Assurance Program, new Sonata, new Tuscan and increased incentives should move metal.
7. American Idol: Ford ruled hall and stage. Its full-line of products pleased the home crowd. We get a world-class Focus.
8. Password: BMW's Efficient Dynamics, hybrid or electric vehicle.
9. Family Feud: VW's Ferdinand Piech thwarts cousin Wolfgang Porsche's takeover. Its American chief, Sefan Jacoby, dons cowboy boots.
10. Queen for a Day: Bentley's Mulsanne smells like money.
Operators are standing by...