11) Number 11 on our list is this image of the 2012 Maserati GranTurismo Convertible Sport
It shows the car perched atop a seaside cliff at dusk, an ideal situation to be sitting behind the wheel of any convertible but the fact that it’s the stunning GranTurismo Convertible Sport makes the situation all the more special.
The lighting effects in this image make it particularly breathtaking.
Monster Tajima's GoPro Suzuki SX4 Pikes Peak race carEnlarge Photo
10) Nobuhiro ‘Monster’ Tajima broke his own record for the treacherous Pikes Peak Hill Climb in Colorado earlier this year, coming in under the near-mythical sub-10-minute barrier of the 12.42-mile ‘Race to the Clouds’.
He did it in 9:51.278
in the highly modified Suzuki SX4 pictured above.
The reason we love this image so much is the way the focused look of the car nearly personifies the determination of Tajima as he charged up the course.
9) There’s nothing like a good burnout and no one seems to capture it quite like photographer Alex Bellus. The contrast between the civility of the 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8’s
front and the unholy hellfire at the rear of the vehicle makes this image linger in your mind long after you stop looking at it. Or after you stop smelling tire.
8) This is the 2011 Mercedes-Benz F125! concept car
at its debut at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show. The concept itself was received well enough--the standout element in this image is the contrast between the matte of standard-issue gray suits and the striking silver concept arching its wings for its debut. It's the perfect contrast of the boring corporate world and the stunning products they create.
7) Like the Ferrari FF, the Pagani Huayra
, which also debuted at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show, has its detractors, but seeing it here on a lonely highway, the car comes off as incredibly beautiful. It doesn't hurt that the Huayra just so happens to be one of the fastest cars on the planet as well.
6) A big Cadillac convertible, an empty highway, and the sun setting...what's not to love? The Ciel
--pronounced “C-L,” the French translation for sky, according to its maker, opens a new chapter in Cadillac’s design strategy, pushing the brand’s Art & Science philosophy to new levels.
We’re now almost at the end the list as there are just five more images remaining. Continue on to see which one came out on top.
5) Number five is one we’re sure you’ve seen a number of times on Motor Authority.
It shows a pre-production version of the new 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
, and the reason we love it so much--apart from the fact that it shows a ZL1--is due to the color effects and the appearance of the contrasting bright yellow Corvette in the background like it’s just waiting for someone to come drive it.
We're still undecided on which one we'd pick if we could only have one.
You're almost at the end of the list now. Keep scrolling to see which image came out on top.
4) At number four is this image of the 2012 BMW 6-Series
. The hills in the background look so inviting and the car looks like it’s ready for a long tour though them, just what a luxurious grand tourer is built for.
2013 Nissan GT-R (Japanese spec) - Photo copyright Openers.jpEnlarge Photo
3) Number three on the list is the ballistic 2013 Nissan GT-R
. This particular photo was taken by our friends at Openers
, who attended the Japanese launch of the car and got to see it in its ideal environment--a race track.
2) Just missing out on the top spot is this image of the 2012 Porsche 911
traveling a winding road through a beautiful canyon somewhere. It certainly makes us want to be there, even if only to view the scenery and the striking sports car.
1) And finally, our top image of 2011 is this photo of the 2012 Lexus LFA
supercar. Looking as though the car is about to jump out of the screen at more than 100 mph, with its tiny “F” badge fully in focus, this is truly a stunning view of the stunningly expensive supercar.