BMW is recalling 32,084 model year 2008-11 5-Series
, 5-Series Gran Turismo
, X5 and X6 models equipped with turbocharged V-8 or V-12 engines. At issue is a circuit board for the electrically powered auxiliary water pump, which can overheat to the point of posing a potential engine compartment fire risk.
Specific models affected by this recall, with the associated build date range, are as follows:
- 2011 550i, 550i xDrive built from 3/10 - 10/10
- 2010-11 550i GT, 550i GT xDrive, built from 9/09 - 9/10
- 2009-11 750i (including LI, xdrive and H models), built from 11/08 - 9/10
- 2009-11 760Li, Alpina B7, built from 11/08-9/10
- 2011 X5 xDrive 50i, built from 4/10 - 12/10
- 2010-11 X5M, built from 7/09 - 11/10
- 2008-11 X6 xDrive 50i, built from 11/08 - 10/10
- 2010-11 X6M, built from 7/09 - 11/10
- 2010-11 X6 xDrive 50ih, built from 10/09 - 11-10
BMW has not received reports of accidents or injuries relating to this condition, although two customer vehicles did suffer burned engine compartments relating to this defect. Dealers will replace the electric auxiliary water pump on affected vehicles when the recall begins in November.
Owners with questions or concerns can reach BMW’s customer service hotline at (800) 525-7417, or the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s Vehicle Safety Hotline at (888) 327-4236, for the latest information on this recall.