Night falls at the 2010 Chumpcar Texas Motor Speedway event.
Endurance racing really does require endurance, both from the cars and their drivers. Night has fallen on Texas Motor Speedway, and we're only a little over one-third of the way through the race. The heat has died down, but now it's a fight to remain alert, fast, and consistent through the wee hours and into dawn.
At the eight hour mark, the order has shuffled a bit. The previously fast #01 General Yee Lexus SC400 started smoking at the start of NASCAR turn three, and after a hard run down the straight into NASCAR turns one and two, it was bellowing. Their day appears to be done. The Triumph TR-7 and Opel GT have joined them as well, the Triump due to major brake failure (piston welded to the disc) and the Opel due to a probable fuel leak, though other issues may have cropped up--it's on the trailer at any rate.
The top three spots are now filled by Hondas--the #45 Prancing Donkey Acura Integra LS at 287 laps complete, the #9 GasHOle Racing Honda CBR Accord at 274 laps, and the #18 White Lightning Honda Civic Sedan at 273 laps.
The remainder of the top ten near the eight-hour mark includes:
4. #98 Wezzr Racing--Ford ZX2 - 267 laps.
5. #99 BahnStormers--Volvo 740 - 266 laps.
6. #66 Animal Hospice--RX7 - 265
7. #59 Serious Business Racing--BMW 325e - 264
8. #33 F1 Rejects--Ford Thunderbird - 262 laps.
9. #83 FUBAR Racing--Ford ZX2 - 260 laps.
10. #69 General Yee JR/DisLexus Racing--Mazda Miata - 259 laps.
As always, you can keep up with the action at the Chumpcar Forums.