Advertisement

Perfect Match: Volkswagen Purchases 90.1% Of Italdesign


Italdesign, or its full name Italdesign-Giugiaro, has been designing some of the most memorable cars ever made, from the lowly Chevy Aveo to the concept-only BMW Nasca C2s. But they have a long history with Volkswagen, like the successful 1974 Golf, and their group brands like Lamborghini, Audi, and SEAT.

Now the Volkswagen has purchased 90.1% of the Italian design firm’s stock through the Audi Group member Lamborghini. The remaining 9.9% of the shares will remain with the founders of the firm, the Giugiaro family. Now Volkswagen has the rights to the Italdesign name and any patents the company holds.

"A new era in the strategic partnership between our companies begins today. Italdesign becomes a permanent member of the global Volkswagen family. The Volkswagen Group will be continuing its model initiative over the coming years and will benefit from the capacity and competence of Italdesign. The company will therefore be making an important contribution to our 2018 global growth strategy," said Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, who is Chairman of the Board of Management for the Volkswagen Group.

Other notable cars designed for Volkswagen by Italdesign include the 1974 Scirocco, the 1973 Passat, as well as the gorgeous, but never produced W12 Coupe and Roadster concepts of the late ‘90s.

[Source: Italdesign]

Advertisement
 
Follow Us

People Who Read This Article Also Read

 

Have an opinion?

  • Posting indicates you have read this site's Privacy Policy and Terms of Use
  • Notify me when there are more comments
 

Have an opinion? Join the conversation!

Advertisement
Advertisement

Take Us With You!

 

Get FREE Dealer Quotes

From dealers near you
Go!
Advertisement

Research New Cars

Go!


 
© 2014 MotorAuthority. All Rights Reserved. MotorAuthority is published by High Gear Media. Stock photography by izmo, Inc. Send us feedback.