Revealed: 2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC SierraEnlarge Photo
The new models will include three different body styles and some models will have specially tuned suspensions. Based on the GMT-900 series of trucks, the new vehicles have been improved in fuel efficiency, towing capacity and are said to have class leading interior quality. Only time will tell if these new trucks will help The General in the long run.
Click more to see the full specs and press release plus images.
Depth and breadth of lineup:
* Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra and Sierra Denali light-duty pickups
* Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra heavy-duty pickups
* Three cab styles: regular, extended and crew cab
* Three box lengths – short (5 foot 8 inches), standard (6 foot 6 inches) and long (8 foot)
* Eight diverse and efficient powertrain combinations
* Five distinct suspension packages, including one for maximum trailering capability
* Three Silverado trim levels; four Sierra trim levels, including exclusive Sierra Denali model
* Light-duty payload capacities from 1,564 pounds (709 kg) to 2,160 pounds (980 kg)
* Light-duty trailering capability from 4,300 pounds (1,948 kg) to segment-leading 10,500 pounds (4,763 kg)
* Light-duty models arrive in fourth quarter of 2006; heavy-duty models in first quarter of 2007
Distinctive exterior designs:
* All-new exterior designs with strong, confident appearance
* Brand-differentiated designs with unique front-end appearances including unique hoods, front fenders, grilles and headlamps, and differentiated taillamps and pickup box designs
* Refined appearance with tighter tolerances and reduced body gaps including 50-percent tighter gap between cab and box
* Sleeker, more aerodynamic 57-degree windshield angle
* Wider and lower stance
* New 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models
* Improved body-to-wheel proportions
* Family of larger 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels
* Two all-new, distinct and spacious interior designs with superior craftsmanship
* Pure pickup interior with unique instrument panel, seats, door panels, consoles, double glove boxes, trim and features on Silverado WT, LT and Sierra WT, SLE models
* Luxury-inspired interior with unique instrument panel, seats, console, glove box, door panels, trim and features on Silverado LTZ and Sierra SLT models
* Use of premium materials with lower gloss levels
* Flush fits and close-outs that conceal seat hardware
* Instrument panels positioned down and forward for increased visibility and spaciousness
* Increased storage capacity in center consoles and glove boxes
* Innovative underseat storage on pure pickup interior
* Quiet interior achieved with extensive use of noise-reducing materials, spray-on damping, foam and seals
* Segment-leading V-8 horsepower and fuel economy
* Technically advanced Gen IV small-block Vortec V-8 family, including E85 capability, fuel-saving Active Fuel Management and variable valve timing
* Wider front and rear tracks (3 inches front / 1 inch rear)
* All-new, stronger and stiffer fully-boxed frames with hydroformed front section
* New coil-over-shock front suspension
* New rack-and-pinion steering system
* New splayed rear shock arrangement
* Improved brake system with new generation Bosch ABS system
* Five uniquely tuned suspension packages, including enhanced trailering package
* GMC Sierra Denali with exclusive 6.2L V-8 and six-speed automatic transmission
Comprehensive safety and security:
* Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with new rollover mitigation technology on crew cab models (available on extended cab models)
* 360-degree perimeter of safety protection, including industry-exclusive rear impact sensors
* Dual-stage frontal air bags with passenger sensing system
* Roof-mounted head curtain side air bags
* Strengthened chassis and body structure for superior crashworthiness
* Frame designed for compatibility with smaller vehicles
* Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist
* Standard OnStar
Unique features and options:
* 170-degree-opening rear access doors on extended cab models with fully retractable rear power windows
* Power sliding rear window (extended and crew cabs)
* Theater-style folding rear seats for ease of loading cargo
* Automatic locking rear axle
* Innovative cargo management system with comprehensive array of accessories
* Remote vehicle starting system
* Enhanced DVD entertainment system with larger screen
* New CD/MP3 radio family
* Touch-screen navigation system
* Heated windshield washer fluid
* Rain-sensing automatic windshield wipers
Additional highlights of Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra interiors include:
* A new, stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40-split design and folding center arm rest can be easily folded up to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Or, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger.
* A “double” glove box, which includes a large-capacity, traditional glove box and a new, covered storage compartment above it, with a 3.4-liter storage capacity.
* Models equipped with the luxury-inspired premium interior come with a single large glove box that offers approximately 25 percent more storage capacity.
* The premium interiors include large center consoles with the segment’s largest storage capacity: 20.1 liters of undivided volume.
* The “pure pickup” interiors feature a 6.1-liter storage console and a new underseat storage bin built into a new 40/20/40-split bench seat. This 9.1-liter lockable storage bin, which includes an accessory power outlet, is located under the center seat cushion and is large enough to store a laptop computer.
* The gauges have an analog display, with large, easy-to-read graphics. They are lit with ice-blue LED lighting, which provides crisp, bright illumination and a more upscale look. A driver information center is incorporated on the instrument panel.
* A manual-control climate control system is standard on all models, with a dual-zone automatic system available. The dual-zone system allows for up to a 30-degree F difference in temperature settings between the driver and front passengers.
* Power-operated rear side glass is featured on extended cab models. The windows lower completely into the rear access doors.
* Power-operated back glass is available on extended and crew cab models. The window operates with the touch of a button located on the overhead console.
* A large, power-operated sunroof is available on extended and crew cab models. The crew cab sunroof has a tilt/slide design, with a sliding sun shade and express open/close feature. The extended cab sunroof uses a spoiler-type sunroof design that slides back over the roof surface.
* Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist provides audible warnings of objects behind the vehicle.
* A heated windshield washer fluid system more effectively removes bug spatter and thin layers of ice and frost. When the system is activated, washer fluid is heated to 150 degrees F (60 C) or more.
* A rain-sensing windshield wiper system uses an infrared sensor to automatically turn on the wipers when precipitation is detected.
* A diverse range of radio systems, including single-CD, six-disc, MP3- and DVD-capable systems, are available. Several radios feature RDS technology, which provides enhanced information for participating FM stations.
* XM Satellite Radio is available.
* A rear seat entertainment system is available on crew cab models; it combines a dual-play radio system, rear-seat audio controls and a larger, 8-inch flip-down screen.
* Two touch-screen DVD-based navigation radio systems are offered; one is specific for systems equipped with the rear-seat entertainment system.
* A new generation OnStar feature that provides turn-by-turn navigation commands is automatically downloaded into the driver information center.
The fourth generation of the legendary small-block V-8 engine family is the power behind GM’s all-new full-size trucks, delivering segment-leading horsepower and fuel economy through advanced technology such as Active Fuel Management (AFM) and variable valve timing (VVT). A FlexFuel engine is available – and partnered with fuel-saving AFM – giving customers the choice of powering their truck with E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels.
GM’s fuel-saving Active Fuel Management bolsters the trucks’ capability with the segment’s best fuel economy. Highway fuel economy for models equipped with the 5.3L AFM V-8 now are estimated at more than 20 mpg for both 2WD and 4WD models.
Engine offerings include:
* 4.3L V-6 (LU3), rated at 195 hp (145 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm).
* 4.8L V-8 (LY2), with iron block; rated at 295 hp (220 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (414 Nm)*.
* 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LMG), E85-capable with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*.
* 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LC9), E85-capable with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*.
* 5.3L V-8 (LH6), with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*.
* 5.3L V-8 (LY5), with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*.
* 6.0L V-8 (L76), with aluminum block, variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management, rated at 367 hp (274 kW) and 375 lb.-ft. of torque (508 Nm)*.
* 6.2L V-8 (L92), with aluminum block and variable valve timing, rated at 400 hp (298 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm)** – exclusive on GMC Sierra Denali.
The engines are backed by proven Hydra-Matic electronically controlled automatic transmissions, including the proven 4L60 four-speed automatic, high-capacity 4L70 four-speed automatic and a new 6L80 six-speed with the Sierra Denali’s 6.2L engine.
Channeling the engines’ power into usable capability and a refined, responsive drive experience are comprehensively redesigned chassis and suspension systems. The chassis and suspension systems deliver a smooth and precise feeling of control, particularly when driving on rough surfaces or with a full load. The chassis and suspension also support Silverado and Sierra’s class-leading capability, including segment-best towing capacity of 10,500 pounds (4,763 kg) and a maximum payload of 2,160 pounds (980 kg).
An all-new chassis, with wider front and rear tracks and new coil-over-shock front suspension design, is supported by tailored suspension packages that provide smooth, sure-footed ride and handling characteristics in all driving conditions.
* A new, fully boxed frame that is significantly stronger and stiffer – 234 percent increased torsional stiffness and 62 percent increased vertical bending stiffness – with a hydroformed front section, enhancing both the smooth ride characteristics and crash protection.
* Wider front and rear tracks – approximately 3 inches wider (76.2 mm) in front and 1 inch wider (25.4 mm) in rear – enable increased stability, as well as a smoother, more controlled ride, particularly when cornering or with a full load.
* A new coil-over-shock front suspension is mounted to the frame via a high-strength, precise attachment system for exceptional rigidity and delivers a linear, responsive ride that enhances the trucks’ fully planted driving feel.
* New rack-and-pinion steering system delivers precise, responsive steering with enhanced on-center feel; it is mounted on the front frame section’s engine cross member, the strength of which virtually eliminates slack or vibration in the steering system to enhance its crisp response.
* A Hotchkiss-type rear suspension with splayed shock absorbers – angled outward and upright – provides more controlled damping and is a key contributor in the trucks’ firmly-planted driving feel; it also enables increased payload and segment-leading towing capacities.
* Exclusive Eaton automatic locking rear axle enhances sure-footed driving feel and instantly provides extra traction when needed.
* Large-capacity brake system with robust apply system and standard next-generation Bosch ABS system provide shorter stopping distances, better pedal feel and quicker brake response
* Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on crew cab models (available on extended cab) – a first for the segment – and incorporates rollover mitigation technology; it works with the ABS brake system to provide greater driver control in all driving conditions
* Range of 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels with tailored body-to-wheel relationship.
The 2007 Silverado and Sierra are available with five suspension systems, each tuned to provide an optimized ride with smoothness, a greater feeling of isolation from the road and minimal body movement; all suspensions feature monotube front shocks. The suspensions include:
* Z83 – solid, smooth ride
* Z85 – enhanced handling and trailer towing
* Z71 – enhanced off road capability
* Z60 – maximum street performance (offered with 20-inch wheels)
* NHT – maximum capacity trailering package
In a first for the segment, GM’s sophisticated StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models. Partnered with the new brake system and four-channel electronic brake controls, the system provides more precise, controlled ABS stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability.
360-degree perimeter of safety protection
Silverado and Sierra are built on new, stronger fully boxed frames that are designed to provide increased crush protection during a crash. High-strength steel reinforcements are strategically located on the frame to enhance crashworthiness. They also feature new compatibility brackets that ensure better interaction with lower-riding vehicles during a crash.
Driver control is bolstered through enhanced dynamics, such as wider front and rear tracks, as well as more responsive suspensions – including a new coil-over-shock front suspension design and rack-and-pinion steering – that deliver smoother, linear and more precise characteristics for a more confident, sure-footed driving performance.
Additional safety features include:
* New, roof-mounted head curtain side air bags inflate to restrain outboard passengers in both seating rows, offering protection during side-impact and rollover events; they are sized specifically to all three cab styles and each has its own dedicated inflator for optimized fill rates into each curtain. The air bags are integrated into the chassis and body structures for enhanced passenger protection.
* Dual-stage frontal air bags with GM’s passenger sensing system are standard on all models.
* Segment-first front safety belt pretensioners with both front and rear crash sensors.
* StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models – and is a first for the segment. Partnered with the new brake system and four-channel, four-sensor electronic brake controls, the system provides more precise, controlled ABS stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability.
* A high capacity brake system with a new, four-channel ABS system provides superior stopping capability. ABS is standard on all models and is linked to the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system to help mitigate the occurrence of rollover events.
* Four-wheel drive models feature the Autotrac active transfer case, which helps keep the vehicle sure-footed in slippery driving conditions. When shifted to the “Auto” mode, Autotrac engages all-wheel drive traction automatically.
* An exclusive Eaton automatic locking rear axle also helps provide additional traction when needed, particularly when towing.
* A new Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist system is available and provides visual (LED lights) and audible warnings of objects behind the vehicle.
* A revised and easier-to-use tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models. It alerts the driver via a signal on the instrument panel driver information center if a tire’s inflation status requires attention.
* A segment-exclusive factory-installed remote vehicle starting system is available on most models – a first for GM’s full-size trucks – providing customers with the convenience of starting the vehicle during inclement weather or other situations.
* Power-adjustable pedals complement increased front seat fore/aft travel to enable smaller-stature drivers to find an optimized driving position.